The Department is responsible for managing, protecting and conserving forests in order to ensure their sustainable
utilization and management for socio-economic development.
The Department performs the following specific functions: –
- Identify and demarcate forest areas to be protected as National Forests, Local Forests, Botanical Reserves,
Community forests and Joint Forest Management Areas.
2. Control, manage, conserve and administer Protected Forest Areas.
3. Promote methods for sustainable utilization, conservation and preservation of ecosystems and
biological diversity in non- protected forest areas.
4. Develop and implement strategies for reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation to
address impacts of climate change through mitigation
and adaptation measures.
5. Establish and manage local and regional supply forest plantations.
6. Promote and provide technical support for private sector participation in the development of forest plantations,
timber industry, beekeeping and non-wood forest
7. Conduct research on forestry and related matters.
8. Maintain a forest information management system.
Zambia Forestry College Unit
The role of Zambia Forestry College is to train and develop human resources in environment and natural resources in
order to contribute to the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources.
The unit performs the following specific functions: –
- Providing education and training programs in the field of environment and natural resources management at various levels.
- Undertaking collaborative research and development in the field of environment and natural resources management in order to contribute to the body of knowledge.
Developing curricula in order to respond to the needs of the labour market and emerging issues in environment and natural resources management.
Undertake monitoring and evaluation of training programs and projects in order to determine the effectiveness and impact.
Engineering and Technology Unit
The unit is responsible for training students in forest engineering training and engineering research in order to effectively contribute to the attainment of college objectives: –
- Train students in forest engineering and technology.
- Initiating and undertaking training needs assessment in forest engineering and technology.
- Initiating and undertaking collaborative research in forestry engineering and geo-informatics related courses.
- Initiating short courses in forestry engineering and geo- informatics related courses.
- Training students in the use of various GEO-ICT tools in the management of natural resources in order to respond to environmental challenges.
- Prepare departmental estimates and requisitions for tools and materials to enhance smooth running of the department.
Biological Sciences Unit
The unit is responsible for training students in protection, conservation management and restoration of the biological and physical diversity of forests and other natural resources in order to effectively contribute to the attainment of college objectives.
- Train students in Biological Sciences.
- Initiating and undertaking collaborative research in biological science courses.
- Initiating and undertaking training needs assessment in biological science courses.
- Initiating short courses in biological science courses.
- Establishing and managing plantation (both indigenous and exotic) for student straining and research.
- Initiating and undertaking projects in Silvicultural, Forest protection, Beekeeping and other related sciences.
- Preparing departmental estimates and requisitions for tools and materials to enhance smooth running of the department.